In the heart of the Rambouillet forest
Rambouillet developed around a castle built from 1374 in the heart of the forest. The estate remained in the d'Angennes family for three centuries. In 1783, Louis XVI bought the castle and had the estate and neighbouring village remodelled. Later, the château became a residence for French presidents. Since the 1940s, it has hosted major international meetings. Khrushchev, Gerald Ford, Gorbatchev, Mandela and even Ghadafi in 2007 were received here by successive French presidents.